Customer Privacy Statement
Your privacy is important to Mackenzie District Council. This privacy statement covers our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. It has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights, as set out in the Privacy Act 1993.
At times we may amend this statement in response to developments in our services or privacy best practice.
What kind of personal information we collect
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, email address, telephone numbers, and gender. It may also include information on your use of our services or facilities and any other information provided by you through your communications with us.
When we collect your information
We may collect personal information about you as set out below.
When you or someone acting on your behalf provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- apply for employment with us
- correspond with us in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages, or other means of electronic communication
- complete and submit forms or applications for consents, licences, housing, approvals, permits, funding, or other authorisations
- prepare and submit a written submission, request, or other feedback in relation to consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding, other authorisations, or in relation to any form of draft or proposed plan, policy, bylaw, or other document
- follow or post comments in response to our social media (Facebook).
We may keep a record of any information you acquire from us.
We may collect personal information about you from other organisations, entities or persons, such as our suppliers, which include organisations such as:
- Land Information New Zealand
- the New Zealand Police, credit reporting agencies and other organisations, entities and persons where you have expressly authorised them to provide us with information.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
We have CCTV cameras located in various locations in the district. This includes fixed position cameras in remote locations as well as cameras erected for short periods of time. All of these cameras are used to monitor and promote community safety.
Signage indicates where CCTV equipment is operating. CCTV footage will only be viewed by authorised people in accordance with the purpose noted above, or when checking that the system is operational. No attempt will be made to identify individuals from CCTV footage except in cases of reported or suspected incidents requiring investigation.
How we use your information
The personal information we collect from you, or someone acting on your behalf, may be used for any of the following purposes:
- To provide you with services or facilities - including those you have.
- To confirm your identity - this is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or provide you with information you have requested.
- To process any consent, licence, approval, permit, or other authorisation for which you have applied.
- To respond to your requests, enquiries, feedback, or for customer care related activities.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our business or operations such as personnel training, or testing and maintenance of computer and other systems.
- For any specific purpose that we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected.
- For general administrative and business purposes.
Keeping your information secure and accurate
We take reasonable steps to make sure personal information is:
- Protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access - we give restricted access to individuals who need personal information to help us perform our duties and obligations.
- Accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
Sharing your information
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- Any person engaged by the Council to provide products or services to you on our behalf, where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those products or services.
- A third party, if we are required to do so under laws or regulations, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. This may include sharing CCTV footage with the New Zealand Police or other public sector agencies where criminal activity is reported or suspected.
- Any person you authorise us to disclose your personal information to.
- Any person, if that information is publicly available, e.g. information held on property files or the rating information database.
- Councillors and the public when you make a submission in relation to bylaws, planning documents such as annual plans or district plans, or draft or proposed policies.
What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information about you that we request from you, we may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process any applications you have submitted, provide the services or facilities you have requested, process payments, or otherwise deal with any requests or enquiries you have submitted.
How long we hold personal information
We may retain all personal information we collect (on both our active systems and our archive systems) for as long as administratively necessary, in accordance with the Council's information retention and disposal schedule.
The Public Records Act 2005 requires us to retain "protected records" indefinitely. In some circumstances, your personal information may be included within a protected record, including submissions you make in relation to bylaws, annual or long term plans, and district planning instruments.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may request confirmation of whether or not we hold any personal information about you, and you may request access to your personal information that we hold by emailing us at email@example.com or via the Privacy Commissioner's 'About Me' tool. Once we have verified your identity, we will provide you with confirmation and access, unless one of the grounds for refusal set out in the Privacy Act applies.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you be corrected by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we agree that your personal information is to be corrected, we will do so and we will also provide you with an amended record, if requested.
Your rights of access to and correction of any personal information we hold about you are subject to the procedures set out in the Privacy Act.
Who you can contact for further information
If you have any queries or concerns about this Privacy Statement or personal data Mackenzie District Council has collected, we are happy to respond or investigate. Please contact us using one of the methods below.
Privacy OfficeMackenzie District CouncilEmail: email@example.comPostal address: PO Box 52, Fairlie 7949
For more detailed information about our obligations and your rights under the Privacy Act, you can refer to the Privacy Commissioner's website or call the Privacy Commissioner's enquiry line: 0800 803 909.